Thursday, March 10, 2011

A Welcome to the Lenten Season

For the first time, I am observing the Lenten season.  I do make New Year's resolutions and the only one this year was to have a closer walk with God.  This time of year, springtime, approaching Easter, is the perfect time to earnestly invest in that closer walk.  Last evening I attended the Ash Wednesday service at Speedwell Presbyterian Church and savored the candlelit atmosphere.  The minister invited us all to reflect upon the areas of our lives where we are separated from God.  We worshipped together, but the service was a preparation for our hearts to seek forgiveness and a renewal of relationship.  I believe we do tend to hold God at arm's length , including Him in the parts of our lives where we are willing to open the gate just a little.  In fact, He should flood our lives with every breath we take.  Perhaps for humans that isn't possible.  Perhaps there was only one human, His own son, who was able to withstand being constantly in the presence of the Divine.  For the rest of us, we can seek Him and praise him and ask His forgiveness.  How often do we really ask to be forgiven for the daily diversions that separate us from His will?  I read the provided devotional for Ash Wednesday (2 Corinthians 9:8) and immediately found one of my many failures:  focusing on those things I lack rather than the bounty I have.  "And God is able to provide you with every blessing in abundance, so that by always having enough of everything, you may share abundantly in every good work."  My prayer today, this second day of Lent, is that I be forgiven for not being more grateful for the abundance God provides for me every day.  God bless you all and keep you close to Him in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment